Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mahanand raped me for 4 years, says victim

Mahanand raped me for 4 years, says victim
Preetu Nair & Rajeshree Nagarsekar, TNN

PANAJI: A rape survivor revealed that dupatta killer Mahanand Naik raped her everyday for four years and then lured her with gold, clothes and promises of marriage. When she objected, he threatened her, she alleged.

"For four years, he wouldn't allow me to talk to anyone. If I talked to a man, he would threaten me. Two years ago I got a marriage proposal from Ponda. Mahanand went to the boy and told him that I am his girl', thereby destroying my marriage prospects," revealed Reema Naik, 23.

She says that there were times when she wanted to attack him but was too afraid to do anything. "He threatened me with dire consequences and I believed him for four years. Every time he raped me, he warned that if I tried to break off or go to the police, then he will defame me with my semi-nude photos. He used to get frequent calls from girls on his mobile, but he would avoid speaking to them in my presence. I dared not question him, as my mind and heart were filled with fear," said Reema.

However, in April, the victim pulled the plug on Mahanand when she spilled the beans to the Ponda police. The police immediately arrested Mahanand for raping the 23-year-old. Later, while in custody, he confessed to killing 10 women after promising to marry them.

Mahanand now faces charges in connection with the alleged murder of 10 women and rape of the 23-year-old. The police also recovered the victim's photo as well as several mobile phones buried in a room at Mahanand's house in Shiroda, about 3 km away from her home.

Though she has forgotten how many times Mahanand raped her, she says that she still remembers that she was first raped on June 21, 2005 in Mahanand's house. She can still remember her helpless scream for help, which was reduced to a whisper in the coming years, she said.

Interestingly, Mahanand never beat her or tried to kill her. On the contrary, he lured her with promises of marriage, jewellery and clothes. "He gifted me clothes, gold jewellery and also promised to marry me. I had no option but to believe him as I had no one to turn to for help," she said.

She claims that she struggled to ignore her doubts. She kept trying to put the pieces together. "When I asked him how he, an unemployed person, got the money to purchase gifts for me, he dodged my questions, manipulated me and I kept on suppressing my growing suspicions out of fear and uncertainty," she said.

"I still picture him coming at odd times to my home, watching me, ready to abuse me. His presence shattered our lives and led to frequent fights with my younger sister," she added. For Reema, her struggle for justice has just started.

(Name of victim changed)

23 May 2009,The Times of India, Goa edition

No comments: