Friday, August 15, 2008

‘I’m not secure with cops’

‘I’m not secure with cops’
Monserrate Still Sore With Police, Refuses Security Cover
Preetu Nair | TNN

Panaji: The cold war between Taleigao MLA Atanasio (Babush) Monserrate and the Goa police refuses to die down. On Tuesday night, the newly swornin minister dismissed the policemen sent to protect him.
“I don’t want police security. I will ask for it when I want it,” Monserrate said. The police, according to protocol, had sent a team—a personal security officer and an armed guard comprising a head constable and three police constables—to Monserrate’s residence soon after he was sworn in as minister. SP (security) Tony Fernandes confirmed that Monserrate has refused police security. “As he said he did not want police cover, we have referred the matter to our superiors,” he said.
Explaining his refusal to accept police security, Monserrate said, “I am not secure with the police. I am hurt for the wrong things they did to me and my family.”
He was referring to the police action that followed against him and his family after he and his supporters attacked Panaji police station on February 19, 2008. “This scar will never be wiped out from my mind and I will never forget what happened to my family. After the incident, I look at every policeman suspiciously.”
After 32 of their colleagues were injured, the police had filed an FIR against 524 people, including Monserrate and his wife, for attempt to murder. They then rushed to Monserrate’s house and ransacked it, beat up his minor son and arrested the MLA and his wife. Since then, his ties with the police have been strained. Babush’s induction affects police morale
Panaji: Taleigao MLA Atanasio (Babush) Monserrate believes he had done nothing wrong in attacking the Panaji police station in 2008.
DGP B S Brar had called the attack on the police station “preplanned”. Since then, relations between the police and Monserrate have been strained. Itis pertinent to note that during his earlier stint as a minister, Monserrate did have police security.
“I have not done any harm to anyone and don’t need police protection. Even when I had security persons, I rarely used them,” he added.
Privately, many cops admit that they are enraged and shocked by Monserrate’s induction in the cabinet. Officials admit that Monserrate is unforgiving and can be brutal when in power.
“This has really affected the morale of several policemen and they are obviously worried,” said a senior official. Monserrate to get education, archives
Chief minister Digambar Kamat confirmed that Monserrate would be allotted the portfolios of Education, Technical Education and Archives and Archaeology. Of the three, Kamat currently holds Education and Archives and Archeology, while Technical Education was held by Dayanand Narvekar. The formal handover of portfolios is expected after the assembly session beginning on August 18.

2008 Aug 07 Times Of India Goa

No comments: