Thursday, June 19, 2008

Goa;Mike Masala rues being witness in Scarlett case

Mike Masala rues being witness in Scarlett case
Preetu Nair | TNN

Panaji: British national Michael Mannion, a crucial eyewitness in the Scarlett Keeling rape and murder case, has advised all British nationals never to volunteer to depose in India if they are a witness to a crime.
Unhappy with the way he has been treated by the police, Mannion said, “I am quite disappointed. As a witness I had volunteered to assist the prosecution and had complied with every directive of the investigating agency. I will certainly not recommend any British national to ever come forward and depose on matters if he or she is ever a witness to the crime.”
Mannion, 35, popularly known as Mike Masala in Anjuna, is the main witness in the teenager’s rape and murder and has deposed before the police that he had seen Samson D’Souza, a bartender (one of the two accused) lying atop Scarlett on the night of Scarlett’s death. Mannion, who left Goa a little after Scarlett’s bruised body was found on Anjuna beach on February 18, had stated that he feared for his life from Samson and therefore left the state, but not the country. In March, he appeared before superintendent of police (North) Bosco George to depose in the case only after a lookout notice was posted, barring his leaving the country. This was done after Manion approached the British consulate in Mumbai saying that he has vital information in the case and needed protection. SCARLETT KEELING CASE
Mannion irked for being detained in Goa
Panaji: British national, Michael Mannion, a crucial eyewitness in the Scarlett Keeling rape and murder case,
lamented that despite having recorded his statement before the police, the police have not allowed him to go back to his country.
“I was promised by the Goa police that immediately after my deposition and statements, I would be permitted to go home. Having named the accused in my statements, I now fear for my life and I have also informed the Goa police that my father is on his death bed and as a son I want to be with him. Despite this, I have not been allowed to go,” said Mannion. Giving Manion moral and emotional support is his brother Paul.
“I had always wanted to come forward to depose for the sake of justice, but when I think of the stress I have undergone as a witness and the fact that I can’t attend to my sick father, I do regret my decision to depose in the case,” Manion added.

June 19, 2008, The Times of India, Goa edition

No comments: